Monday 30 July 2012

My Olympic Flame

2012 was the year of the London Olympic games.  As a result, London was heaving with a large proportion of muscular, god-like beings.  Regular plebs the world over descended on our country in order to witness these champions lift heavy things, throw heavy things, and leap over high things.

Due to this vast increase in tourism, I saw an opportunity opening up.  I rounded up a whole bunch of old t shirts, scrawled an Olympic logo on the front, and headed down to London.  This was the best money-making scheme I’d had since I decided to make my own money.  Sure, the Olympic organisers sent me a cease and desist notice, but I figured that because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, that would be an airtight defence in the event that it turned into a court case.

I arrived in the Olympic village the day after the opening ceremony.  I ran hither, thither and yon, holding up t shirts in people’s faces and screaming “YOU BUY!  YOU BUY!”  I managed to complete a few transactions, enough to justify the trip anyway.  I’d even bought some luminous key finders and sold them as official Olympic torches.  Business was modest.  Not booming, but decent enough.

That’s when I saw her emerge from the crowds, standing out like a goddess amongst mortals.  She was a finely tuned ebony statuette wearing a Team GB strip.  Her abs were so defined they could define the word abs in the Oxford English Dictionary.  I could sand down a banister with that stomach.

Now, who wants toasted marshmallows?


I can honestly say that I’ve never seen a woman like that before.  In fact, most of the girls I know have .jpg in their name.  Regardless, this sighting opened my eyes, my mind, and my testes.  I knew, in that instant, that she would have to be mine.  In comparison I was but an ant.  A pasty, spaghetti-armed nancy boy who struggled to lift his own head in the morning.  She looked like she could lift a Mini and play it like an accordion.  Still, I knew that I could make this matchup work.

I pushed my way through the sweaty crowds, stepping on an old lady who was trying to purchase my official Olympic rings (Frisbees), and tried to catch up with the divine beauty in front of me.  I shoulder-barged a couple of Asian tourists out of my path, only to run straight into a huge chunk of a man who probably could have been a weight lifter.  Or a professional lardarse.  Either way, I was helplessly caught in his hefty frame.  All I could do was look longingly at her back as she headed towards the Olympic village exit.  I made a mental note of the registration number on her back; 1042.

From that day forth, 1042 would be my lucky number.  I prioritised that set of digits in my memory and my brain cached the information over my PIN number.  I wouldn’t need it anyway; who needs money when you have love?

I floated to the Information centre and asked them for more information on the enchanting Miss 1042.  I learned that her name was Vicky Holmes, and she was a javelin thrower.  That made sense.  She’d thrown a cupid’s javelin straight into my chest cavity.  Looking at the timetables, I learned that the javelin throwing would take place at 15:00.  It was 14:43 already.  I had to be quick.

Just in case you didn't know what javelins look like


I sprinted through the village towards the stadium, dodging through the crowds.  I leaped over a child, ducked under the legs of an entertainer on stilts, and slalomed through a school party who were in formation near a gift cart.  I’d never ran this fast in my entire life.  Usain Bolt can eat his cock off.

I reached the stadium with a couple of minutes to spare.  The security guards patted me down rather thoroughly.  They could probably feel my pulse racing and the sweat dripping off of me.  Exercise wasn’t exactly my speciality.  They asked me a couple of questions because I seemed so agitated, and they pulled me to one side in the name of security.  I must have seemed a little like a terrorist because they whipped out their handheld metal detectors and began to run them over my body.

I waited impatiently for them to finish.  Could they not see that I wasn’t a terrorist?  The nearest I’d been to an explosive device was a scented bath bomb.  As they made me raise my arms to check that I hadn’t concealed large quantities of C4 in my armpits, I started to get antsy.  My eyes darted around; when I noticed a tunnel just off to the right with a sign above saying “athletes only”.  Surely my warrior princess had gone that way.  In my excitement, I shoved one of the guards out of the way and made a break for it.

They gave chase, shouting something about lethal force if necessary, but their speed couldn’t hope to match a man in love.  I sprinted down the tunnel as fast as possible.  I could hear the overwhelming roar of the crowd outside.  It was getting louder.  I flew past several changing room doors.  I didn’t know if she was in them or already on the field.  I decided to wait near the entrance to the field and see if I could spot her.

As I approached the final stretch I could see the tunnel open up in front of me, revealing a vast array of cheering faces.  Many were flying flags, throwing streamers, and waving in that curious fashion that is commonly associated with Mexicans.  I was standing at the entrance to the field.  The atmosphere was buzzing with the anticipation of the games ahead.  That’s when I noticed her.  Miss 1042, I mean Vicky, was heading out, about to take her place in history.  It was her turn to throw.

My pounding heart could contain itself no longer.  Through a mixture of desperation and fear that the guards would catch me if I waited any longer, I strode out onto the field.

This was the bravest thing I’d ever done.  In fact, I’m sure this was bravest thing anyone had ever done in the history of everything ever.  If I asked her on a date in front of 100,000 people, surely she couldn’t say no.  I mean, it’s such a romantic gesture.  Legions of sweaty sports fans whooping, hollering and playing the theme from The Great Escape would make an ideal backdrop to our blossoming love story.  What woman could ask for more?

A romantic hotspot


In a moment I was behind her.  She towered over me like a plinth.  I know that’s not a particularly romantic comparison, but you understand the size difference in play here.  I was nought but a skinny breadstick when next to her.  She was still going through a few warm up stretches, preparing that phenomenal physique for the athletic task ahead.  This gave me a few more seconds to invite her to join me in this whirlwind of passion.

“Excuse me, would you like to-ERK!”

I was stopped short as she reached behind and grabbed me by the neck.  She lifted me above her head without even noticing me, holding me aloft like a trophy.  She took two steps, and suddenly, the pressure around my neck had gone, although I was hurtling through the sky at an alarming pace.  Considering my flailing limbs, I was surprisingly aerodynamic.  The sensation of flying was wonderful.  I didn’t care that the object of my affections had tossed me like a disposable piece of sporting equipment.  That was, until gravity took a hold of me, and the inevitable, bone-shattering crash happened.

And that, kids, is how your mother and I broke an Olympic record.

----- Submitted for this week's Dude Write.

35 comments:

  1. I shed a tear for your emotional story.

    With all your shenanigans happening around real world events, I'm starting to wonder if Forrest Gump is any relation to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like my momma used to say: My Blog is like a box of chocolates. Prolonged exposure can cause diabetes.

      Delete
  2. Sure, a gold medal is great, but winning something as a team is priceless, shattered bones be damned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I don't see the relay swimming teams literally breaking their bones for the team. This is why they don't win medals, except the ones that do win medals.

      Delete
  3. At least she didn't play volleyball, otherwise she'd be going for your balls and not your neck. *buh dum tch*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine the horror of being thrown by your balls. *shudders*

      Delete
  4. Very heartwarming story. My love story started a similar way, but I fell for the security agent who frisked me. I'd never been fondled like that before. And that wand did things to me that made my toes curl. But, not in a weird way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, those security guys are very good with their hands. I hear they can get a bit "frisky".

      Delete
  5. Aww..... (my mandible has completely dislocated itself from the maxilla after such a long jaw-dropping awww whilst reading your poignant story)

    Jussht sshedsh shummm tiersh... verri tatsheeng eeshtoreeh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sorry about the jaw though. Please don't send me any medical bills; my own bills nearly sent me into bankruptcy after this story.

      Delete
  6. Oh, how I wish this love story were true. Can I have a skinny breadstick of my own someday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gutted that you don't think my story is true*. Which one of the many unbelievable events convinced you? Besides, would you really want a man you could toss around like a loose tree branch?

      *All events portrayed in the story are fictional, and any likeness to persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

      Delete
  7. Really can't say enough about how much I love your (bizarre) writings/ramblings. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for the compliment. I'll try and keep it up, just for you.

      Delete
  8. true LOVE. it's real. and scary. it's real scary. that's why i don't go outside. LOVE WILL FIND YOU AND RUN OVER YOUR MAILBOX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not love. That's crazy Larry who drives after a few bottles of jack. Just be thankful it was only your mailbox.

      Delete
  9. Wow, I don't feel so bad for myself all of a sudden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For the first time in ages travelling into London isn't a complete ball-ache...why can't we have Olympics without end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eternalympics? I could go for that. Although I bet Bolt would tire after the first few ice ages.

      Delete
  11. Did you stick the landing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If by "stick" you mean "crumpled in a heap and cried for seven straight days", then yes I did.

      Delete
  12. Addman, you have mad salesmen skills. YOU BUY! works for the penny whores in Mexico and Tiwana (so I've heard), why not for pho-Olympic shirts?

    Michael A. Walker
    Defying Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully intend to employ this technique on the next series of The Apprentice.

      Delete
  13. I agree with Michael, your sales skills can rival the ones of the Asian kids who offered to sell me their mom....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many mothers can you get for a tenner?

      Delete
  14. Awesome. Particularly enjoyed the women whose name ended in .jpg!

    WG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I get confused when I see Scarlet Johaneson in a film and she isn't called "futurewife.jpg"

      Delete
  15. Did she get a running start before she threw you, like she would with a javelin? At least she wasn't a gymnast where you would tower over her instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did throw me like a javelin, but she didn't need a running start because I am so aerodynamic.

      Delete
  16. And now I'll be watching the rest of the olympics, hoping to see Usain Bolt eat his cock off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the main reason why I've been watching.

      Delete
  17. "She’d thrown a cupid’s javelin straight into my chest cavity."

    Awesome!

    Congratulations on the Olympic record.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a nice comment or die trying.