Friday 6 April 2012

F – Fog


Under normal circumstances, I am a very sunshiney person.  I prefer warmer weather, lighter evenings, and generally don’t enjoy rain and cloud.  Sunlight alters my disposition, giving me an irrepressible smile.  You could attach crocodile clips to my testes, hook me up to a car battery and cook me like a catfish, and I’d still have a grin on my face if it was a sunny day.

There is only one darker weather condition that I do have time for, and that’s fog.  Fog instils an alluring sense of mystery to the surrounding world, especially when it’s so thick that you can’t see the person next to you.

I live on a hill, and as such, I am no stranger to fog.  For the past week I’ve woken up to fog and gone to bed with fog.  Not sexually you understand, as the mechanics of that would be mind boggling, but what I mean is that I tend to live with a lot of fog in my life.  I guess it’s rather fortunate that I happen to enjoy it.

How delightful

It’s fantastic going to work on a foggy day.  What’s that inscrutable figure emerging from the gloom?  Is it a fellow commuter?  Is it a dog?  Is it a genetic mutant, freed from the laboratory where it was trained only to rape young, fog-wandering men on their way to work?  Your heart begins to pound so fast, it’s creating a samba beat on your rib cage, which is no doubt causing other people in the vicinity to dance, if only you could see them.  As you reach said object, you slowly realise that it’s nothing more than a post box, but you feel exhilarated by the whole encounter.  This is the magic, mystical world created by fog.

Due to my location, I feel like I dice with death on a daily basis just by walking to the bus stop.  It makes me feel like a macho hero, having my bravery tested in this manner.  Not that I don’t feel macho on daily basis, you understand.  Ah who am I kidding, I don’t feel macho at all.  I eat too many carbohydrates for that.

Tomorrow’s weather forecast looks to be more of the same, so I expect yet more fog will envelop my house in the morning.  If I don’t make it through the mist monsters tomorrow, let it be known that I love you all.  Not in the way that I love fog, but love nonetheless.  

23 comments:

  1. How do we test the sunshine hypothetical you posed? Driving in fog is terrifying. But there's something cool and spooky about fog that I love. Maybe because I'm a Stephan King freak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was about 7, we went on a family holiday around California. One of the most vivid memories I have from around that time is when we went over the Golden Gate bridge, and it was so foggy that you literally couldn't see the car in front. I found it exhilarating.

      Delete
  2. I am right there with you on the fog--I do love it in a way I love no other kind of weather phenomena. However, smiling through what you described is a very serious case of love for the sun. ;) Thanks for such witty and wonderful posts. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Fog is the most wistful of all weather fronts.

      Delete
  3. If fog rounds here looked like that I would love it too. I always find it quite magical, like it's the smoke left over after a great spell has been cast in another world - ooh I'm gona use that! :)

    Universal Gibberish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love seeing the fog-- especially on an early morning over a lake--that can create some really cool effects. Love that fog pic.

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that early morning fog that rolls over the landscape is too good to miss. It's one of the main reasons why I don't mind getting up at 6AM.

      Delete
  5. I love fog; I can walk out of my house on a foggy day and feel like I'm stepping into another world! I tend to see a lot of fog too, because I get up really early to go to work, and by the time everyone else gets up it's usually gone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that one. People are missing out on all this glorious fog.

      Delete
  6. I'm a summer girl and I love the sunshine. The winter and dull weather depresses me. You'd think I was never born in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you always want what you haven't got. I bet those millionaires who buy their own tropical islands secretly long to move back to the land of drizzle and slush. Don't they?

      Delete
  7. I love the mystery of fog. It adds suspense and drama to any story. Great post.
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like fog in stories, such as the movie "The House of Sand and Fog" but I'll pass on fog in my days, lol. Fog is kinda in the way...it causes poor visibility for drivers on the road and it gives people the eery feeling that something is lurking to be revealed when we least expect it. So, um, I'll take my sunny days over that and leave the fog all for you! :)

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like fog, too, always have (don't like driving in it, though). There was a time, after reading Steven King's "The Mist", that I couldn't look at fog without thinking about what monsters were inside. I could really freak myself out, lol! I got over that and am back to enjoying it. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Florida where the sun always shines...well, most of the time, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must be my next door neighbour...I live on Canada's east coat and we have so much fog! I don't mind an odd day here or there but 7-10 straight days of it is depressing :)
    Hope you're enjoying the challenge,
    Monica, Older Mommy Still Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often drive to work in the fog. Now I will be looking for those genetic mutants along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Usually, the city experiences dense for from October until early March. This year, I got nothin'. I used to be terrified of it. Fog meant I would experience severe panic attacks. At some point, all that changed, and now I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fog is the best weather ever ever ever. so there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was this post inspired by the shared love of fog that you and Gazza have? That song was a masterpiece of which no other solo artist has been able to match (thank god!)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a nice comment or die trying.