Monday 9 April 2012

H - Homoerotic


Have you ever noticed the comedic potential of the word “homoerotic”?  No?  Then allow me to enlighten you.

It occurred to me some time ago that simply by adding “homoerotic” to the title of a movie, TV show, band, video game or anything, you instantly transform it from mundane to hilarious.  After discussing this with a friend, who shall be named as Zoid to prevent stalking, we came up with a large number of examples.  At the risk of running this joke into the ground, here’s a list of some of the funnier ones we came up with:

Video Games:

Homoerotic Gears Of War
Homoerotic Tomb Raider
Homoerotic Final Fantasy
Homoerotic Civilisation

Bands:
Red Hot Homoerotic Chilli Peppers
Homoerotic Sons And Daughters
Scouting For Homoerotic Girls
The Homoerotic Feeling

Movies:
Mr Poppers Homoerotic Penguins
Homoerotic Monster’s Inc.
The Never Ending Homoerotic Story
The Homoerotic Human Centipede

Jim Carey: An advocate for gay penguin rights.

TV Shows:
Inside Nature’s Homoerotic Giants
Dad’s Homoerotic Army
Mrs Brown’s Homoerotic Boys
Harry Enfield and Homoerotic Chums

That’s enough for now.  Please contribute some more if you can think of any.

On a slightly different note, what would be the opposite of homoerotic?  I suppose it would heteroerotic, which probably sounds more deviant and other-worldly than it actually is.  I'd love to describe myself as an exotic heteroerotic pan-dimensional love invertebrate.  In fact, that would look fantastic on my CV.

P.S. This post was inspired by a conversation I had with a friend of mine, Zoid.  Some of the above suggestions are his, but I can't remember which ones.

25 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind watching Mr. Poppers Homoerotic Penguins. Because race car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wouldn't want to see wild animals behaving in a homoerotic manner?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is you CV long enough to be able to tattoo all that on .......

    I cant spell silly qwerty keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't tattoo things onto your CV, unless you've written your CV on your arm. That would make it rather awkward to submit your CV online.

      Delete
  4. You're right, "heteroerotic" sounds crazy weird, like what David Bowie would use to describe himself.
    And some of these, the "homoerotic" is implied (like Red Hot Chili Peppers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you're right. The likes of Gears Of War have very strong homoerotic tones anyway.

      Delete
  5. I'm convinced Jim Carey swings both ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if anyone was going to do a homoerotic sequel to Mr Popper's Penguins, my money be on Jim Carey. Not just because he was in the first one either.

      Delete
  6. Mr. Popper's Homoerotic Penguins sounds wonderfully risque.

    Here are a few other movies:
    - Requiem for a Homoerotic Dream
    - The Homoerotic Godfather
    - Diary of a Homoerotic Fat Kid

    Ooo this is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like diary of a homoerotic fat kid.

      13th June: Woke up, had breakfast, got bullied at school. Then had a massive homoerotic session behind the bikesheds.

      Delete
  7. Wow, I think you just made Mr. Popper's Penguins funny. I didn't think that was possible.

    How about:

    Harry Potter and the Homoerotic Sorcerer's Stone
    Twilight: Breaking Homoerotic Dawn
    Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Homoerotic Hood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaking Homoerotic Dawn sounds like a first gay experience.

      Delete
  8. Homoerotic Toy Story.

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, now I know why the main characters are called "Woody" and "Buzz".

      Delete
  9. Yes, I agree you made Mr. Poppers Penguins funny with one tiny word inserted in the title.
    I nominate "American Homoerotic Idol"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that would cause mass outrage, which would be awesome to witness.

      Delete
  10. Here's a few TV shows off the top of my head:
    America's Got Homoerotic Talent
    Wheel of Homoerotic Fortune
    Big Homoerotic Bang Theory
    Big Homoerotic Brother
    Homoerotic Mythbusters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homoerotic Mythbusters might actually be a good idea. They could go around disproving gay stereotypes and dismissing some of the disparaging rumours aimed at the gay community.

      Delete
  11. That is awesome. The picture with the penguins really made the new title for me. Funny
    Dancing with the homoerotic stars
    How I met your homoerotic mother

    love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last one could be used as an insult, like a Yo Momma joke.

      Delete
  12. Another great post. You always make me laugh :D

    How about Homoerotic 60 Minutes?

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thanks, I'm a bit tired from yesterday :p

      Thanks

      Delete
  13. I particularly liked Never Ending Homoerotic Story. This sounds like an awesome conversation. Wish I would've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I would add homoerotic to the titles of the last three films I watched, they would end up:

    REAL HOMOEROTIC STEEL
    HOMOEROTIC UNDERWORLD
    PUSS 'N HOMOEROTIC BOOTS

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a nice comment or die trying.