Saturday 21 April 2012

S – Signal Intrusion


S leads me onto a slightly stranger interest of mine; Signal intrusion (which sounds much better than Sausages, which I was going to write about).  Signal intrusion is basically the act of interrupting a broadcast (such as a TV or radio broadcast) and hijacking it with your own content. 

Now, when I say this is an interest of mine, I mean that I am fascinated by the concept.  I don’t attempt to jam TV broadcasts in order to influence a political uprising and brainwash people into doing my bidding.  Not yet, anyway.  The equipment is a bit pricey, and I don’t have the time to take control of the Earth right now, what with my cheese collection which is in urgent need of re-categorisation and everything. 

Signal intrusion might sound all very Sci Fi, but according to Wikipedia, this is quite easily achieved with the correct equipment, which makes it rather surprising that there are so few examples of it occurring.  Perhaps the fact that it is a highly illegal act in most countries is enough of a deterrent, but that’s never stopped murders in the past.

Anyway, one particular example which caught my attention and has fascinated many others, is the Max Headroom Incident:



This was broadcast twice in the same evening.  The first incident occurred on American station named WGN-TV, but only for a few seconds before the station reacted to the hijack and restored the usual broadcast.  The second incident occurred a few hours later on WTTW, but this time the hijacker managed to run the whole thing.

As you can see from the video, the guy in the Max Headroom mask mentions “nerds” a lot, and also references the Coke advertising slogan “Ride The Wave” while holding up a Pepsi can.  He also makes reference to a “dirty” glove, and says that his brother has the other one.  I’ve no idea what this means.  Then he gets a spanking with a fly swatter before the screen goes blank.

The Max Headroom incident may seem rather immature and uninspired, like a schoolkid in an argument who can’t come up with a rebuttal, so just lets out a massive fart instead and says “that’s what I think of you!”  However, I find the idea that someone can interrupt a broadcast and put out what they want a little unnerving, yet utterly compelling.

In the past, I’ve written short stories about pirate TV or broadcasts which have been designed with malicious intent.  One story (which I never finished) involved a new TV station which appeared unannounced one day on people’s TVs, and broadcast nothing but a pale, eerie face with no sound, 24 hours a day.  People became obsessed with this station, trying to find a reason for its broadcast, picking apart tiny details on screen and finding non-existent secret messages.  Eventually, the general populace decide that it’s a government conspiracy designed to distract them from political inadequacies, and start a full blown revolt, toppling the regime and executing their leaders in the streets.  In the end, it would turn out to be nothing more than a viral advert from a new film.  I really ought to get around to finishing that.

On a slightly different note, another strange broadcast-related occurrence is the existence of numbers stations.  Numbers stations are unacknowledged radio transmissions, which occasionally relay sets of numbers at random across the airwaves.  It is widely believed that these are government sponsored stations which broadcast codes to spies who are working out in the field.  As usual, Wikipedia has more information than I could possibly give.  However, I find it rather interesting and again, unsettling, what with the musical chimes and computer generated voices reading what appear to be strings of nonsense to us, but what might actually be an order to have someone killed.

In other words, unexpected happenings on TV unnerve me somewhat.  I find white noise almost unbearable, and I feel anxious when stations experience technical trouble.  I used to feel freaked out as a kid when those old test cards used to appear on screen.  It was looking at something that isn’t meant to be seen by humans, like peering at Satan’s sphincter.  So, to try and creep you out, please enjoy this rather fetching picture of a test card:



16 comments:

  1. That is a bit freaky (the interruption, I mean). I only wonder what on Earth would have compelled the hijacker to rant incoherently instead of actually putting a more constructive message to use.

    Perhaps we should be glad he didn't say worse.

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was more of a "fuck you", to show that he could do it. His message seemed a bit anti-corporate and anti-celebrity, but aside from that, it just seemed to be as surreal as he could manage.

      Delete
  2. Personally I think the evil alien overlords control everything and won't allow intrusion.
    Nah, not really. But I do assume that this isn't as easy as they make it seem, since it is rarely done. Or maybe because most cities have a public access channel they can get their craziness out on TV and not be breaking the law

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, although I'd love to see a public access channel for more rural areas.

      "And today I'd like to talk about those shape-changing sky lizards who keep making stupid patterns in mah corn!"

      Delete
  3. Great post, I'm glad I found your blog. Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Max Headroom incident is the most hilarious thing I've seen on the A-Z Challenge. Thanks for the laughs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but I also find it a tad creepy.

      Delete
  5. Found you through a- z - love your blog and am following. Not that we should try to make any sense of it, but I think the glove reference is to Michael Jackson....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than likely. And his "brother" who has the other one, is Jermaine?

      Delete
  6. I hated that test card...it gave me nightmares.
    Apparently the 'x' on the blackboard is the exact centre of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's something otherworldly about that test card. It's like seeing something that shouldn't be there. Plus that clown is creepy.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, now I'm creeped out by it too, and I hadn't even thought about it before! Great post anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. From now on, I know that I will experience a panic attack every time I hear an ice cream truck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may have already read this, but just in case...
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18381_the-5-creepiest-unexplained-broadcasts.html

    Your post has me searching Google for anything I can find on the topic you covered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/eeb6e/i_believe_i_know_who_was_behind_the_max_headroom

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a nice comment or die trying.