Wednesday 11 April 2012

J – Jabberwocky


I’m sure you’ve all heard of The Jabberwocky, the famous poem by Lewis Carroll.  This poem is a big inspiration to me, which is probably reflected sometimes in my style of writing.  I adore the way in which it’s a nonsense poem that makes perfect sense.  Most of the words are completely made up, yet the way in which they are constructed and used means that you understand it as though it were a science text book.

Anyway, J gives me a great opportunity to post my favourite poem, in its entirety:

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought-- So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought.
And as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! and through and through The vorpal blade went snicker-snack! He left it dead, and with its head He went galumphing back.
"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.

Yes, I know it’s lazy to repost a poem as part of the blogging challenge, but what the hell, you’re getting content everyday this month anyway!  Don’t be so greedy!

27 comments:

  1. No, thank you for posting that. I remember in 1st grade they had people come in and act out this poem and I LOVED it. It was awesome. Now, seeing it here, I didn't realize how many nonsense words there are in this weird-o thing. It's still awesome, but super lazy. It's like Carroll wrote down sounds that emitted from his body. Coughing, farting, hunger grumbles, he just wrote them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to create a poem based entirely on your bodily functions. If you do it, I'll think up some way to reward you.

      Delete
  2. I wished the Italian song I posted recently made as much sense as the poem does!

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's okay. I often refer to myself as Slacker-Shelly or Shelly-Slacker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly-Slacker? That sounds like the noise that the vorpal blade made.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Glad you like it. Wait, am I taking credit for a dead guy's work? Yes, I think I am.

      Delete
  5. One of my favourite poems, when I drive past the village of Brillig in Wales always recite this. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have to visit this village.

      Delete
  6. I've never actually read the whole poem. It's very cool and i love the whimsical words and imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good isn't it? Glad to meet some like minded people :)

      Delete
  7. I like how it makes reference to the Cold War... or toaster strudels or dragons or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have missed that subtext. Was that between the lines between the lines?

      Delete
  8. Addman, you know I love you but you *&^%$"!

    I had exactly the same poem scheduled for today and now I have to actually think!!

    This was my favourite as a child and I still love it even now. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It might be lazy, but it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Lily - it would have been great to post on Jabberwocky and I'm glad to see you did. Great fun! And amazing to see that at least three of us were thinking the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to see that so many people appreciate it.

      Delete
  11. I love this poem and the movie and book Alice in Wonderland is fabulous. Visiting from A to Z Challenge!

    http://lawyergirlruns86.blogspot.com/2012/04/j-is-for-jogging.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. um, YES! this poem is the stuff dreams are made of. i looooooove it! you, you wonderful person, just made me verrry happyyy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if plagiarism impresses you, prepare to be astounded...

      Delete
  13. Woooooooooooo! loving the new look.

    Not been around for a while 'cos my laptop is running on its last legs - poetry is NEVER the last resort of anything.

    (sh*t - should have made that rhyme...bugger)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's both educative and
    engaging, and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is something not enough folks are speaking intelligently about. I'm very happy that I
    found this in my hunt for something relating to this.

    Look at my weblog tv series

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a nice comment or die trying.